The Tretyakov State Gallery is one of the famous art museums in Moscow. It was founded by a business dealer Pavel Tretyakov together with his brother Sergey. The gallery disposes one of the world largest Russian Fine Arts collections. Pavel Tretyakov commenced his collecting of paintings in the mid of 1850s. Practically from the very beginning he intended to donate it to the town. The year of 1856 is considered to be the year of the Tretyakov gallery foundation when Pavel Tretyakov acquired 2 paintings by Russian artists, namely: N.G.Shilder’s Temptation and V.G.Khudyakov’s Skirmish with Finland’s Smugglers. In 1874 P.Tretyakov built a gallery to accommodate his collection, a gallery that was opened for public in 1881. In 1892 Tretyakov donated his collection together with the gallery itself to the Moscow Town’s Duma. By that time the collection numbered 1276 paintings, 471 drawings and 10 sculptures of Russian painters, and also 84 paintings of foreign masters. Presently the collection comprises Russian painting, graphics, sculpture and some works of decorative-applied art from XI up to the beginning of the XXI century.
COLLECTIONS » TRETYAKOV STATE GALLERY
The funds of Moscow Tretyakov Gallery possess the largest of M.Sarian’s collection of works (after the collection kept in Armenia museums). 39 painterly and 27 graphic works are kept there. This is the first museum that has acquired the artist’s works since 1910, thus marking the artist’s role in Russian painting in the beginning of the last century. The collection is especially rich in the works of the first half of 1910s that made M.Sarian famous world-wide.
(374 10) 52 16 07