Yerevan 375002, Armenia
Tel: (374 10) 58 05 68
House-Museum of the great artist of the XX century – Martiros Sarian (1880-1972) was built in Yerevan by special order of Armenia government and open on Nov. 26, 1967 during Master’s lifetime.
The museum building consists of two- storey mansion where the artist lived and worked in 1932-1972 and attached to it three-storey gallery built in 1967.
The author of the house’s project was Alexander Tamanian – the eminent architect of Yerevan. The museum part was designed by Mark Grigorian.
The upper part of the building’s front facade was decorated with mosaic and inlay by the noted artist Gagik Smbatian from M.Sarian’s sketch.
The first director of the house-museum was the artist’s son – the composer Lazar Sarian who supervised the museum building’s construction. From 1967 up to 2005 the museum was headed by the art critic Shahen Khachatrian.
In 2003-2004 Lucy Mirzoyan – who for a long time was the museum’s chief curator- became a museum director.
From 2004 the museum’s director is the artist’s granddaughter – Rouzan Sarian – Candidate of Philology.
The distinctive point of the house-museum’s collection is that all the works and sketches which were in the house and the studio in recent years are gathered there. Sarian’s 50 works which he had donated to the museum became the core of the fund’s creation.
Later on the fund was increased due to donations and purchases. Nowadays the popularization of Master’s art and creation of the database about his works are the House-Museum’s main objective. The research work is conducted in the museum, the complementary chronicle of the artist’s life and creativity is being made; the memoirs, manuscripts and letters are being prepared for press, a full catalogue of his works is made. Social and educational activities for children and young people are also held in the museum, in addition to chamber music concerts.